Trusted by Pet Lovers Everywhere.
Our Mission Is Clear and Strong. Champion Petfoods is an award-winning pet food maker with a reputation of trust spanning more than a quarter century.
We make Biologically Appropriate dog and cat foods from Fresh Regional Ingredients, and we make them from start to finish in our very own award-winning kitchens.
Our mission represents a new standard in dog and cat foods, designed to nourish them in two ways.
- First, according to their natural evolution for a diet rich in meat and protein;
- Second, using ingredients that are sustainably raised, fished, and harvested by people we know and trust, and delivered to our kitchens FRESH or RAW.
We think you’ll love ACANA. More importantly, we think your dogs and cats will too.
ACANA foods and treats are a celebration of our longstanding commitment to making Biologically Appropriate foods from Fresh Regional Ingredients. Rich in meat protein, ACANA foods feature 60-75% regionally sourced quality animal ingredients. Prepared exclusively in our award-winning Kentucky DogStar Kitchen, ACANA foods and treats offer a taste experience your dogs and cats will love!
Acana Heritage Line is made from 60% quality animal ingredients such as meat or fish and eggs. Half of the ingredients are not processed beforehand and arrive either frozen or fresh.
All dogs are descended from the gray wolf, possessing the same eating anatomy as their ancient cousins. This means they are meant to eat a diet that is rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients. ACANA Light & Fit contains carefully balanced calories from protein and fat to help support a healthy body weight and lean muscle mass. Loaded with free-run chicken and turkey, wild-caught fish, and cage-free eggs, ACANA nourishes dogs naturally, the way nature would.
A Note From Us: ACANA is one of our favorite foods, especially for itchy and yeasty dogs, or for dogs with stomach issues. ACANA uses fresh, regionally sourced ingredients which makes it a great choice for all different types of dogs.
Rich in Animal Ingredients
- The Protein-Rich Diet Your Dog is Meant to Eat
Poultry, Fish, Organs, Cartilage & Bone - Providing Nutrients in Their Most Natural & Nourishing Form
- Ingredients Delivered to Our Kitchen Fresh or Raw from People We Trust
- Infused with Freeze-Dried Liver for a Delicious Taste Your Dog Will Love
Quality ingredients make better food.
- 60% quality animal ingredients. Providing a strong and natural source of essential protein, vitamins, and minerals.
- ½ fresh or raw poultry and fish for a nutrient-dense, delicious food that your pet will love.
- Fresh, free-run chicken: 2 lbs
- Fresh, free-run turkey: 1 & 1/3 lbs
- Fresh wild-caught flounder: 2/3 lbs
Refrigeration preserves our FRESH ingredients. Our RAW ingredients are frozen at peak freshness to lock in nutrients.
Deboned chicken, deboned turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole red lentils, whole green peas, whole yellow peas, lentil fiber, flounder, chicken broth, pumpkin, whole green lentils, whole pinto beans, whole chickpeas, herring meal, pollock oil, natural chicken flavor, dried egg, chicken liver, chicken heart, chicken fat, chicken cartilage, chicken gizzard, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried kelp, whole pumpkin, collard greens, whole carrots, whole apples, zinc proteinate, calcium pantothenate, freeze-dried chicken liver, freeze-dried turkey liver, chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rose hips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.
Calorie Content (ME) calculated: 3055 kcal/kg (348 kcal per 8 oz cup), with 38% from protein, 34% from carbohydrates, and 28% from fat.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does “biologically appropriate” mean?
The Biologically Appropriate concept is simple: mirror the freshness and variety of meats that dogs and cats are evolved to eat.What is “MeatMath”?
- MeatMath is designed to help you assess if your food is Biologically Appropriate. Biologically Appropriate foods are formulated to match the eating anatomy of the animal they are intended for. Dogs and cats are evolved as carnivores, which means they require high concentrations of meat, high inclusions of fresh meat, and a rich diversity of meat. Is your food Biologically Appropriate? Answer the three MeatMath questions: How Much? How Fresh? How Many?
- How much meat is in the total diet? 60-75%
- How much fresh or raw meat is in the total diet? ½ fresh or raw
- How many meats are included in the diet? 1-5
What does “Whole Prey” mean?
- Nature matched the nutrients in whole animals to perfectly meet your dog or cat’s biological needs. ACANA WholePrey represents the evolution of ACANA foods by incorporating meats, organs, and cartilage in ratios that mirror the natural diet, and eliminating the need for long lists of synthetic ingredients.
Are ACANA foods supplemented with amino acids, vitamins, or minerals?
- ACANA foods feature WholePrey ratios of fresh muscle meat, organs, and cartilage in ratios that mirror natural diets and eliminate the need for long lists of synthetic ingredients. Organ meats are a concentrated and natural source of virtually every nutrient your dog or cat needs to thrive, including all essential vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, and vital amino acids. Organ meats such as kidney, liver, and tripe are loaded with minerals such as iron, copper, magnesium, and iodine, and provide important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K, all of which nourish dogs and cats as nature intended. This is why you will find a majority of our amino acids, or minerals, on the guaranteed analysis or typical analysis but not on the ingredient list.
What is the source of ACANA’s glucosamine? Is it supplemented?
- ACANA contains 60-75 percent meat, poultry and fish ingredients in WholePrey ratios — meaning we include fresh meat, organs, and cartilage, just as Mother Nature would. Our fresh meats and cartilage in particular are high sources of natural glucosamine. That’s why glucosamine is listed on the guaranteed analysis but not on the ingredient list.
Where do you source your ingredients?
- We believe that making the world’s best pet foods requires using the world’s finest ingredients. With this in mind, we focus on working with suppliers that we know and trust. Trust is earned by demonstrating an ongoing commitment to quality, food safety, sustainability, and communication. We only choose suppliers who are dedicated to these values and providing the best ingredients available.
Why do you use peas, beans and lentils in your foods?
- Our fruit and vegetable inclusions provide natural sources of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, while also providing the binding action needed to form a kibble. Our legume inclusions are a healthy source of fiber and soluble carbohydrates.
For Pet Lovers looking for a dog food without these ingredients, our ACANA Wholesome Grains diets feature grain-inclusive recipes that are free of any legumes including peas, beans and lentils. These recipes provide Pet Lovers with even more Biologically Appropriate options that their dogs can enjoy.
Fresh, raw or dried – what’s the difference?
- FRESH: For our fresh meats refrigeration is the only method of preservation.
- RAW: We freeze our fresh meats at peak season to lock in their natural goodness – no preservatives.
- DRIED: Dried fish and meat ingredients are made of flesh, bones and cartilage, and provide a concentrated source of protein, with their bone content providing a very rich source of minerals. Dried fish and meat ingredients are made by removing water from the meat, bone, and cartilage ingredients through a cooking process.