Dogs are ancestral carnivores, so their Biologically Appropriate diet is rich and varied in whole animal ingredients. ORIJEN® Original recipe is packed with 85%* quality animal ingredients fresh or raw+ like free-run chicken and turkey**, and wild-caught fish. With rich inclusions of Wholeprey animals, ORIJEN dog food is made with the most nutrient-dense, succulent parts of the prey to deliver the nutrition dogs need. The result is a diet for your canine companion that is beyond comparison.
Nourish As Nature Intended®
- Protein-powered diet your dog is meant to eat
- 85% quality poultry and fish ingredients, providing a strong source of essential protein, vitamins, and minerals
- First 5 ingredients are always fresh or raw protein including poultry and fish
- Made in the USA with the world’s finest ingredients
*Approximate and derived from the unprocessed state of the ingredients.
**Our free-run chickens and turkeys are not housed in cages and are able to move in a barn without outdoor access.
+Our fresh ingredients use refrigeration as the sole method of preservation. Our raw ingredients are the same as our fresh but are frozen at the peak of freshness to preserve nutrients.
Chicken, turkey, flounder, whole mackerel, chicken liver, turkey giblets (liver, heart, gizzard), whole herring, eggs, dehydrated chicken, dehydrated turkey, dehydrated chicken liver, dehydrated egg, dehydrated mackerel, whole red lentils, whole pinto beans, chicken fat, whole green lentils, whole navy beans, whole chickpeas, lentil fiber, natural chicken flavor, whole peas, pollock oil, pea starch, chicken heart, whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, collard greens, whole apples, whole pears, whole cranberries, dried kelp, salt, zinc, proteinate, mixed tocopherols (preservative), vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, dried chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, citric acid (preservative), rosemary extract, dried lactobacillus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.
- Crude protein (min.) 38%
- Crude fat (min.) 18%
- Crude fiber (max.) 4%
- Moisture (max.) 12%
- Dietary Starch (max.) 18%
- Sugars (max.) 1.3%
- DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) (min.) 0.2%
- EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) (min.) 0.2%
- Calcium (min.) 1.4%
- Phosphorus (min.) 1%
- Omega-6 fatty acids* (min.) 3%
- Omega-3 fatty acids* (min.) 0.8%
- Glucosamine* (min.) 600 mg/kg
- Chondroitin sulfate* (min.) 600 mg/kg
- Total Microorganisms* (min) 1 million CFU/lb
- (Lactobacillus acidophilus Bifidobacterium animalis Lactobacillus casei)
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
Metabolizable energy is 3940 kcal/kg (473 kcal per 8oz. cup) with 39% from protein, 20% from carbohydrates, and 41% from fat.
Orijen Original Dog food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages, including the growth of large size dogs (70 lb. or more as an adult).
Quality ingredients make better food.
- 85% quality animal ingredients. Providing a strong and natural source of essential protein, vitamins, and minerals.
- 2/3 fresh or raw meat for a nutrient-dense, delicious food that your pet will love.
- 3 ¼ lb. Chicken, organs, cartilage
- 2 lb. Turkey, liver, heart
- 2/3 lb. Cage-free eggs
- 6 ½ oz Whole Atlantic mackerel
- 6 ½ oz Whole Atlantic herring
- 2/3 lb. Wild flounder
Refrigeration preserves our FRESH ingredients. Our RAW ingredients are frozen at peak freshness to lock in nutrients.
Frequently Asked Questions
ORIJEN represents the fullest expression of our biologically appropriate philosophy. ORIJEN’s recipes reflect diets as close as possible to what our dogs’ and cats’ ancestors found and consumed in nature. Our recipes feature 85%-90% premium animal ingredients. With a variety of animal ingredients and a high meat percentage from superior quality meat, poultry, and produce, feeding ORIJEN means feeding your pet the best.
What does Wholeprey mean?
Nature matched the nutrients in whole animals to perfectly meet your dog; or cat’s biological needs. ORIJEN WholePrey incorporates meats, organs, and cartilage in ratios that mirror the natural diet, eliminating the need for long lists of synthetic ingredients.
What is MeatMath?
MeatMath is designed to help you assess if your food is biologically appropriate. Biologically Appropriate foods are formulated to match the eating anatomy of the animal they are intended for. Dogs and cats are evolved as carnivores, which means they require high concentrations, inclusions, and rich diversity of meat.
Is your food Biologically Appropriate?
Answer the three meat questions: How Much? How Fresh? How Many?
- How much meat is in the total diet? ORIJEN contains 85%-90% meat
- How much fresh or raw meat is in the total diet? ORIJEN contains 2/3rds fresh or raw meat
- How many meats are included in the diet? Each ORIJEN recipe contains a minimum of 6 different types of meat
Where do you source your ingredients?
- We believe that making the world’s best pet foods requires using the world’s finest ingredients. With this in mind, we focus on working with suppliers that we know and trust. Trust is earned by demonstrating an ongoing commitment to quality, food safety, sustainability, and communication. We only choose suppliers who are dedicated to these values and providing the best ingredients available.
- Our screening process for a new supplier ranges from 90-180 days; Our Parent Company, Champion’s requirements and attention to detail are more thorough than what is required of most suppliers involved in providing ingredients to the human food industry.
- Our commitment to quality does not end when we accept a supplier. Once a supplier is brought on board, we maintain that relationship by having frequent meetings, on-site visits, and conversations. That way we can feel confident that we are giving your pets, and ours, only the best.
We visit and audit our ingredient partners to ensure ongoing compliance with our own strict standards, and the ingredients themselves are subject to a comprehensive risk assessment.
Are the ingredients used in your foods GMO-free?
- We do not use GMO ingredients.
What are your quality requirements for your animal ingredients?
- ORIJEN and ACANA foods and treats are formulated for dogs and cats, with meat and poultry ingredients sourced from federally licensed facilities that must have implemented a HACCP-based food safety system. Meat and poultry ingredients must be sourced from animals that are not condemned, diseased, or that have died otherwise than by slaughter.
*HACCP is a standard of requirements to control the safety of the food being produced
Fresh, raw, or dried – what’s the difference?
- FRESH – for our fresh meats, refrigeration is the only method of preservation.
- RAW – we freeze our fresh meats at peak season to lock in their natural goodness – no preservatives.
- DRIED – Dried fish and meat ingredients are made of flesh, bones, and cartilage. These ingredients provide a concentrated source of protein, with their bone content providing a very rich source of minerals. Dried fish and meat ingredients are made by removing water from the meat, bone, and cartilage ingredients through a cooking process.
Back to the beginning.
ORIJEN is derived from the Latin term ‘origin’ – meaning source or beginning. Born from a desire to mirror the diet dogs and cats have evolved to eat, Orijen now serves as the fullest expression of our biologically appropriate, fresh regional ingredient, never outsourced philosophy.
Inspired by a natural diet of whole prey animals, ORIJEN features unmatched and unique inclusions of fresh or raw meat, naturally providing everything your dog or cat needs to thrive. With a reputation of trust spanning more than a quarter-century, ORIJEN is the biologically best food to give you peace of mind and keep your cherished companion happy, healthy, and strong.
The Orijen Philosophy:
- The Protein-Powdered Diet Your Dog is Meant to Eat.
Top 10 Animal Ingredients Fresh or Raw
- Providing Nutrients in their most natural and nourishing form.
- Poultry, Fish, Organs, Cartilage & Bone - Mirroring the Diet Your Dog Would Eat in Nature
- Infused Kibble for a Taste Your Dog Will Love